Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Black Wolf (111)

This is the episode that I start warming up towards the character Xena. I know we’re ten episodes in. This is the episode where Xena starts being a little bit human for me. First of all, she embroiders! Among, many other skills that Gabrielle will eventually be the beneficiary of :). She has more facial expression. She’s less stoic. She actually jokes around a tiny bit with the Black Wolf/Flora friend of hers.


I like the Xena in this episode. You get to see the part where she kicks butt for the sake of good and you get to see that she’s a human being, which makes her relatable. It’s official. I now love the Xena character as much as I love the Gabrielle character. It took me long enough. I would totally grab beers with the both of them.


It is extremely cathartic watching Xena kick butt. She kicks butt every episode. I especially love this episode because the thug (Lord Koulos) is really arrogant and d-baggy. It’s incredibly satisfying to watch Xena throw him around. I love the use of the word “woman” in this episode. Lord Koulos calls Xena a woman with a bit of disdain in his voice. Xena early in the episode asks if he enjoys shoving a woman around. Honestly, it really looks like he does enjoy it. Xena then asks him to try shoving her around. We all know where that leads.


This makes me think. I am a nerd. I am part of the nerd community. Nerds are my people. I go to comic book conventions. I always have a blast. One of the best parts is seeing all the people dressed up in different costumes. I’ve seen Wonder Women, X-Men, Wolverine, Joker and Spiderman. People look at them, like their actual heroes or rock stars and it is awesome. I haven’t seen any Xena’ s yet. But, I know there are women who dress like Xena. I think that’s cool.


Everyone on the planet should have the opportunity of feeling like a rock star in their lives. Whether it’s through, karaoke, a drag show or dressing up for a comic book convention. The women who dress up like superheroes or like Xena; I hope they feel like heroes and rock stars themselves. I think everyone on the planet who wants to feel like Xena should and by that I mean, every woman should feel good and confident in her body and in whom she is. I hope that is one of the things that people can carry from watching Xena: The Warrior Princess.


Favorite Quotes:


“And tomorrow, I’ll show you how a real soldier handles this woman.” Lord Koulos

Cut to Xena punching him in the face.


“You embroider?” Dude

“I have many skills.” Xena


“Excuse me. Have you seen Xena? She’s tall, she’s beautiful, piercing blue eyes, swings a mean right hook?” Gabrielle


“She’s my friend.” Xena about Gabrielle

“She’s your friend. She’s your friend? You have a friend?” Salmoneous


“You know, you wouldn’t be here in the first place if you’d kept your hands off my tomatoes.” Gabrielle to Salmoneous

Xena gives Salmoneous an intimidating look.

No comments:

Post a Comment