Monday, September 13, 2010

Xena Rules!!!!!

A couple of years ago, I watched two or three episodes of Xena: The Warrior Princess. Afterward, I felt indifferent. I thought to myself, “Eh.” I can explain. I didn’t want woman-loving subtext. I wanted context! I wanted blatant text! I needed something to take the edge off of being alive in a cruel, cruel world. I was unhappy at the time and feeling lost. Xena: The Warrior Princess didn’t quite cut the mustard for me.


Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I saw Xena The Warrior Princess: Season 1 on sale for the very reasonable price of $19.95 for 23 episodes. I thought, “Holy crap! That’s less than a dollar for an episode! This puppy is coming home with me!” When I revisited the show I was in a much happier place and I came to be completely charmed by the show.


As I continued in watching the rest of the seasons streaming on Netflix; I saw blatancy!! In some episodes it was subtle and other episodes it was extremely obvious, but in essence this show was about two women who loved the crap out of each other. I found that Xena: The Warrior Princess did indeed take the edge off of being alive in a cruel, cruel world.


What changed from two years ago to a couple of months ago?


There is a formula of putting two attractive women together in a sex scene that is sure to satisfy many people, at a time, myself included. The L Word used this formula well. However, these scenes would leave me feeling dissatisfied. I wanted to see emotional intimacy. I wanted to know that the two women would go to the end of the earth for each other. I wanted to feel that the sex between the two women had meaning. A lot of times, it felt shallow. Where was the poetry?


When it comes to love or matters of the heart, the stakes are extremely high. This is what I like about science fiction, fantasy or larger-than-life entertainment. I may never have to jump into a lava pit to save a person I love. However, the times I have been in love, I know I would have done anything to make my exes happy. At times, it certainly felt like I was jumping into lava pits to make them happy. But, I digress.


The L Word, a long with other entertainment, gave me the blatancy that I wanted. Apparently, it wasn’t the blatancy that I was looking for.


I want to feel alive all the time. I feel alive when I ride my bicycle really fast. I feel alive when I move across the country seeking a better life. I feel alive when I cook something really good for myself. I feel alive when I wake up from a really great nap. I feel alive when I watch Xena: The Warrior Princess.


The reason why I write this blog is because I need an excuse to watch the entire series over again. I have devoured the entire series. I have tattooed the faces of Xena, Gabrielle, Joxer, Calisto and Ares to my back (kidding). I have read the Whoosh.org articles and recaps. I have seen the youtube Xena and Gabrielle videos online. I have even looked into going to the Xena Convention in 2011 (we’ll see if that happens). I have run out of ways to indulge my fandom. It’s getting out of hand.


I need something somewhat practical to come out of my silliness. My ridiculousness is your benefit, readers! I am going to write commentary on each episode. I’m not recapping because this show has been off the air for nearly ten years, so recaps are unnecessary. My sole purpose in writing these commentaries is to entertain you and to give you an excuse to re watch this amazing series!


Your welcome, readers. So, sit back, relax and enjoy this amazing show accompanied by my own commentary. I promise to be as funny, witty and entertaining as I possibly can for the enjoyment of you, readers. You lucky-son-of-a-guns!

No comments:

Post a Comment